Moonsorrow

Epic Heathen Forum
It is currently Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:19 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Welcome
Welcome to moonsorrow

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 212 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22  Next
 Post subject: Vinyl box set
PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:07 pm 

Some months ago, Moonsorrow and the label Blood Music announced they would release a vinyl box set; according to them, "the biggest retrospective in the history of metal". Not much is known about it, other than the following:

- It is supposed to be released in the beginning of 2014;
- It will include 14 discs;
- Everything will be (actually has been) remastered specifically for vinyl, which is cool;
- The artwork will be done by Reuben Sawyer, of Rainbath Visual;
- It will be very limited, very exclusive and probably very expensive.

I suppose the "early 2014 release" won't happen, if we're already in February and nothing else has been revealed yet. I don't know very well how or what to fit in 14 discs, truth to say... Let's see, my hypothesis is that stuff may look like this:

1 for Metsä;
1 for Tämä ikuinen talvi;
1 for Suden uni;
1 for Voimasta ja kunniasta;
2 for Kivenkantaja, one of the four sides being blank;
2 for Verisäkeet, although the longest song and the shortest go after each other so I'm not sure how well that will fit, but I suppose it's doable;
1 for Hävitetty (I see no other possibility);
2 for Tulimyrsky, maybe, a side being blank again?;
2 for Varjoina, like the existing edition;
1 for those live songs that appear in the UK version of Kivenkantaja.

And that's the 14. But I'm not convinced anyway.

Post subject: Re: Vinyl box set
PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:10 pm 

I think I read that it will include works never released before. So I hope there are some surprises!
Anyway, will the demos be remasterized again? That would be a very good news for me :D

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:33 am 

[quote="KALMAGEDDON"]I think I read that it will include works never released before./quote]

I'm with you: I thought the same thing.

As far as what that unreleased stuff will be, I think they've said that they've recorded at least a couple shows so there could be a live vinyl. If absolutely nothing else, the live CD they've officially released doesn't feature all of the songs that were performed at the show, so it stands to reason that they have other unreleased live recordings.

There's also the matter of covers. "For Whom the Bell Tolls" was recorded in 2005 and wasn't released until the band had a good opportunity to release it in 2008 on the Tulimyrsky EP. These vinyls might be a good chance for them to release another cover they might have done and are sitting.

Lastly, in the studio diary for VKKM Ville said: "We also recorded some two hours of acoustic music, which will not be released anywhere anytime." Maybe they changed their mind? Haha. Or there could be other acoustic original recordings or rearrangements on the way.

Anyone else have any ideas?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:58 am 

Hey folks!

The box is at layout stage. There has been some small setbacks with the releasing schedule (ain't there always in the music biz??) but I think we will get the first test pressings in a few weeks and going to go for a summer release.

At this point the label wants us to keep our mouth shut and not give further details about the set. Yet.

Acoustic stuff recorded in VKKM sessions? I've never heard that. Maybe some drunken late night **** caught on tape but nothing serious. But there's going to be one acoustic song never released before. I think it's from Tulimyrsky sessions. You'll see, you'll hear...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:37 pm 

That's awesome news Marko, and welcome to the forum! Looking forward to hearing more about the box info as the label gives more details.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:11 pm 

Oh, I'm absent for a few days and Monsieur Marko appears! I'm glad :D Welcome indeed!

I'm thinking now that I read there was also a lot of material that didn't make it to Voimasta, do I remember right? Although maybe it was never actually recorded.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:23 pm 

Ahh... we have millions of riffs and song ideas on at least 10 different harddisks. A lot of leftover material from the past years but the only songs we ever recorded in studio sessions that once were left over are Tulkaapa Äijät (which all of you know got released on Suden Uni re-release), For Whom The Bell Tolls (released later on Tulimyrsky), and one acoustic song that will be on the vinyl box.

I remember we even had some finished songs as demos after Kivenkantaja. Those would have made a prefect KK pt 2 but then we said **** no and decided to go to a totally different direction on Verisäkeet. You see, we always wanted to do sth different to previous albums.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:58 pm 

I took a membership at Blood Music only for this, and I don't want to promote it because I'm sure it will be sold out before going public ^___^
I have 2 big fears:
1/ pre-order going on a day I'm not able to use internet.
2/ being released and sent in summer while the post office is run by temps and get my parcel stolen or destroyed.

I'll get my first white hairs because of this LP thing...

MNge

Edit: yet, I ordered other LPs from BM since the begining of the year, waiting to be delivered ATM.

Last edited by marieneige on Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:23 pm 

Took a Blood Music subscribe too only to buy this box! So stocked to have it in my hands, I hope they will do a lot of boxes though.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:20 pm 

I forgot to say something on my post, I doubt they'll let blank sides, and I hope they won't. It would be a waste!!
Did that happen before?

MNge

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 212 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22  Next