Moonsorrow

Epic Heathen Forum
It is currently Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:19 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Welcome
Welcome to moonsorrow

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Help with a folkish tune
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:04 am 

Hello people of the board!

I need your help identifying what I think may be a folk tune, it's in a way related to Moonsorrow, sort of... Let me explain.

Few weeks back I went to a music fair and bought a lot of second hands CDs, including Thyrfing's Urkraft, because I knew the band was an inspiration for Moonsorrow and I never had the opportunity to listen to them. There is the Moonsorrow relation, we won't talk about them anymore :D

The song Till Valfader Urgammal uses a tune which immediatly reminded me of a very famous 80's funny french movie called "la soupe aux choux".
https://youtu.be/V7iskzRmonM
https://youtu.be/dxZqHff44Js

I posted Till Valfader Urgammal on my FB page and asked my friend to listen to it and tell me if it reminded them something without saying what and they felt the same.

Maybe it's just something in my head, because I'm not a musician, and worst, I'm known to be quite "deaf". Like people who can't make the difference between tomatoes and apples by the taste, if you know what I mean :D So, some of you will probably hear NO similarities in the tune. But I do.

It came to my mind that's probably an already known folk tune, on top of that I'm sure I already heard it too in a Vintersorg's song, but I can't find which one.

Voilà, just trying to identify it for my own personnal satisfaction and starting with asking here because it's a tiny forum and we can talk freely and I know you won't judge me for:
1/ being a total fan of that movie because it's so much more than the story of 2 old peasants getting drunk and farting to call an alien who speaks like a turkey (the book is even better)
2/ having zero skill in music and hearing the same tune even if it's absolutely not the case

Have a good day!!
(if you understand french, check out that comic, it's about being like me ^___^ http://www.bouletcorp.com/2014/03/16/basse-definition/)

MNge

Last edited by marieneige on Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Report this post

Post subject: Re: Help with a folkish tune
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:05 am 

It happens because it's générique music.

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:10 pm 

Ok, one point for the pun
:D

MNge

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:58 pm 

Anyway, I do find similarities. Maybe I wouldn't identify it as quickly as you did, or maybe I would if I knew the soupe one well enough. But I also think they're similar. Like they were played with the same instrument and have the same character... I wish I could express myself better :P

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:33 pm 

It was probably so obvious for me & friends because the tune is part of our popular culture. The movie is broadcasted on TV once a year since the 80's ^^

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:16 pm 

I don't really hear enough similarity to think it's actually based on the same tune, just a similar folky sound.

Also according to Wikipedia the composer is Raymond Lefèvre, not Vladimir Cosma. Though after listening to it I'm inclined to believe that's just a pseudonym for our very own Henri. It totally sounds like something he could've written. :P

Report this post