Moonsorrow

Epic Heathen Forum
It is currently Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:17 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Welcome
Welcome to moonsorrow

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Moonsorrow related bands
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:11 pm 

There are many of them.
On going, on hold and former bands.

At least now a days still going: Barren Earth and Finntroll. I think October Falls also?
Also not to forger LAKUPAAVI!

Who likes and what and so on and so on and so on.

I'd be more than eager to hear new stuff from Lakupaavi but for some reasons it might never happen I assume.
Sucks 'cus Lakupaavi is one of my all time favorite grindbands and I've been into Finnish grind few years.
(Also organizing small grindcore event called Grindassault once a year. This year is number 3 in a row)

Post subject: Re: Moonsorrow related bands
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:34 am 

I have to confess my love for Barren Earth. I discovered the band live at Tuska and it took me some time to realize some Moonsorrow members were involved in it (I'm "slow"... it took me time also to figure out the singer was in Swallow the Sun). Sadly, it's a band merely impossible to see on stage if you don't go in Helsinki :p
Waiting for the new album!!

Lakupaavi is funny, **** Jesus is an ear worm (damn, I talked about it and now its in my head... Thank you...) but I can't say I like it.
I like Finntroll, I listened to them years before discovering Moonsorrow, it's a band with tops and bottoms (does that make sense?) but it's always a pleasure to see them performing.
And never heard about October Falls, name sounds depressing melo death, I bet I'm wrong XD enlighten me.

MNge

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:46 am 

I hope that with the new album Barren Earth would be able to do more tour outside Finland.
I'm really waiting for next month to drive Barren Earth on their "minitour" with Katatonia.

Jon was really good choice for the band. Amazing voice and he takes the stages like a king.

I've never listened that much to October Falls either.
Couple sources says that Marko plays drums in it and their music is Folk/Ambient-Dark Metal.
This site has most of their acoustic stuff http://octoberfalls.bandcamp.com
Here is their latest full album which seems to be more metal http://dmp666.bandcamp.com/album/the-pl ... coming-age

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:24 pm 

Listened to "The Rains Begin". A bit weird for first but I liked it

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:48 pm 

October Falls has acoustic albums (square logo on cover) and metal albums (round logo). Marko plays drums indeed, but I think all the music is written by Mikko Lehto, I think. I didn't hear much of the acoustic music, because I don't dig it so much. But the metal is brilliant. Black metal, basically, with these pagan and atmospheric touches. You can listen to several full albums on Debemur Morti's Bandcamp page.

The Streams of the End
The Womb of Primordial Nature
A Collapse of Faith
The Plague of a Coming Age

Womb and Collapse are both albums of one song divided into parts, the other two are several "normal" songs. Totally recommendable band.

----------

Concerning Barren Earth, call me a hipster if you want, but I know them since the first demo. :mrgreen: I think Marko posted a link to the band's Myspace profile on the old Moonsorrow forum. I remember I totally and absolutely and completely loved the debut EP, Our Twilight. Then The Curse of the Red River came out, and I bought it right away, even before downloading it from the internet (which I never do unless it's some 2-3€ bargain; I've had enough disappointments) because after a few days it wasn't leaking and I was too impatient. No regrets - it's beyond awesome, what a treasure of a record, really.

But The Devil's Resolve disappointed me a bit, already from the advance track, "The Rains Begin"... It seems to me like leftovers from the previous album -- which probably weren't, and the songs are good, but not as much as the previous ones, in my opinion. More expectable. So I'm curious to hear what they did this time.

Other bands I can think of: Arthemesia (black metal with Marko) or The Wicked (weird industrial stuff with Henri and Marko). And Chaosbreed, old-school death metal with Marko as well. Marko, Marko, Marko everywhere, maaaaan, you've had some hypercreative periods, haven't you! :lol:

Oh, and Mitja's Shadow Cut, fast and furious black metal with someone from Impaled Nazarene, if I remember right...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:07 pm 

Hipster!

(You asked for it! :roll: )

MNge

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:44 am 

As the Metal Archives say I'm also involved with the next bands:

Barren Earth - true, I play the drums in BE since the beginning. Now working on the 3rd album.
October Falls - true, I play the drums as a session member
Thy Serpent - true, I've played with them occasionally and we're slowly working on the new material
Lakupaavi - true, well... as "Pate Perestroika"
ex-Arthemesia - true, as "Erzebeth Meggadeath" I played on aOa album + a couple of shows, then the band split up
ex-Gorewinter - true
ex-The Wicked - true, as "Erzebeth Meggadeath"
ex-Chaosbreed - true, I played the guitar in CB
ex-Larharyhmä - true, as Herman The German
ex-Thunderdogs - true, a short lived punk rock project with Henri and me + some other friends
ex-Masturbory - NOT true! someone else played on that

Additionally I was the twin drummer in Kuha. during 1998-2000. Weird stuff, don't bother, you won't understand it. I didn't!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:09 pm 

New Barren Earth song out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UZxhxCBWmQ

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:42 pm 

Cool one! Unexpectedly long and proggy. Looking good, now let's wait till March.

Also, I really liked the voice. That was a fear I had.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:26 pm 

It was really cool! I'm really excited about this album and of course to see BE live again.
I think they played few two/three(?) new songs last year and they all sounded good.

Jón really surprised me when I first saw him on stage. I think I had heard like one Hamferð song before.
He's different but he makes it work.