Moonsorrow

Epic Heathen Forum
It is currently Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:12 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Welcome
Welcome to moonsorrow

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Re: Metal vinyl recommendations?
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 5:59 pm 

Grilo do Demo wrote:
I don't really like how it sounds.

Vinyl sounds different?:O

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 1:02 am 

Exactly how different it sounds and exactly why will depend on who you ask. The main difference comes from the difference between the sound being analog or digital. The easiest analogy is by comparing it to photographs. Film Cameras actually physically absorb light and give you the detailed photo you end up with, digital cameras look at a scene and replicate it by lighting up however many little pixels they have to replicate it. Here's a comparison of the first digital camera picture to a random picture taken on a regular camera the same year.

http://petapixel.com/assets/uploads/201 ... ayback.jpg
http://queenphotos.files.wordpress.com/ ... n-1975.png

Similarly, vinyls actually physically imprint sound onto the record. If you put the needle on a record and turn the record without anything even being plugged in, you still hear the music (which is how old gramophones would work by using the hand crank and no electricity). CDs came along and used 1s and 0s to replicate the sound of what was recorded, and the difference in quality was pretty similar to the difference in regular film and digital cameras for a long time.

But, as technology's improved, digital pictures have gotten so detailed that, according to some people, it's impossible for the human eye to tell the difference. Many photographers still prefer using film cameras because (1) they think it has a more detailed visual quality, (2) they prefer the "look" of film because of a certain aesthetic it has that isn't just about the level of detail, and/or (3) they like it because it's nostalgic/it indulges their hipster side/they prefer the more involved process of getting their picture.

In music, digital music has gotten so detailed that, according to some people, it's impossible for the human ear to tell the difference. Many music fans still prefer vinyl because (1) they think it has a more detailed audio quality, (2) they prefer the "sound" of film because of a certain aesthetic it has that isn't just about the level of detail, and/or (3) they like it because it's nostalgic/it indulges their hipster side/they prefer the more involved process of listening to their music.

With all that said, that just goes to show that there ARE differences, but I don't know nearly enough on the topic to be able to describe exactly HOW they sound different.

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 10:58 am 

I heard that analog includes some sound frequencies, called armónicos in Spanish (probably harmonics in English?), which aren't audible for human ear, but which modulate the audible frequencies, thus making the sound more natural, or something.

I feel so ignorant saying this :roll: don't tust me too much :lol:

Hobodoctor wrote:
Funny you should say that! I just picked up Blood Fire Death on vinyl about a week ago.

The same I have! Been thinking about getting also Hammerheart and Twilight of the Gods, maybe some day.

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 11:22 am 

Okay, I understand, thank you

Report this post