Moonsorrow

Epic Heathen Forum
It is currently Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:28 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Welcome
Welcome to moonsorrow

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Finland and Finnish language
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:10 pm 

Since this is a Moonsorrow forum, and I have seen in other topics that not only I am, but more members seem to be enthusiastic about Finnish stuff, I thought this topic might be interesting. Everybody is welcome here to discuss everything Finland-related, starting from the temperatures of sauna to various nominal declanations in Finnish. Tervetuloa!

I know many Finnish-metal lovers easily get ethusiastic about learning some Finnish, so if you like, we can also have some mini courses here.

Finnish members of the forum are also super welcome!

I myself have been enthusiastic about Finland since my veery early teens, and now, being 20, I am finally studying this challenging yet beautiful and fun language at the university. Now my fanatism has also changed to more serious adultsy things like liking, admiration, respect, interest and knowledge.* :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I am currently in the second year, in progress of reaching a level where I can hold a conversation in Finnish. If everything goes right, this summer I will spend 3 months in Finland.

*not

Report this post

Post subject: Re: Finland and Finnish language
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:48 pm 

What I find interesting is the history of Finland during WWII. That a small country was able to hold off a big country like Soviet Union is a great story of history! Am I correct in saying that Helsinki was also one of the few capitals not held by Nazi Germany?

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:39 am 

@ChehalemShade: In saying that I think you are. I too know that fact.

"Permeate me, oh night, as with the forest you did...
For heart is cold, cold as ice..."

Dissection - Night's Blood

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:47 pm 

ChehalemShade wrote:
What I find interesting is the history of Finland during WWII. That a small country was able to hold off a big country like Soviet Union is a great story of history! Am I correct in saying that Helsinki was also one of the few capitals not held by Nazi Germany?

Yes, you are absolutely correct. I recommend too this article about the bombing of Helsinki in 1944. What is not mentioned, is the fact that the defenders lit huge bonfires in the eastern uninhabited part of the city, making the attackers think that this is their target: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bombing_of ... rld_War_II

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:07 am 

That's very clever starting bonfires on the outskirts of the city. After giving the Soviets such a beating, it's no wonder that Finland gained respect in the international community

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:47 pm 

Well Finland was a ally of Germany in WWII till they made a contract with the Russian, making the germans burn many places in lappland as revenge. :D

Well I will start studying suomi in winter. I know already something about it because of my lady, and that gives me the greeps regarding the learning haha. Its a motherfucking freaky language! Even though german might not be really better. hehe

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:11 pm 

I have great respect for non-Finnish people learning the Finnish language or even writing lyrics in Finnish, as did Horn from Germany (the song is about the Battle of Raate Road during Talvisota): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbUMxUGxiwQ
I think sooner or later I'll learn Finnish as well (in the course of my linguistic studies - I think it might be helpful to know a non-Indo-European language as well) :)

Report this post

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 5:30 pm 

Okay, anybody got any favourites from Finnish literature of 20th and 21st century? I'm preparing for a superhard Finnish literature exam on the 20th, and if there were some authors and works which I could 'bind' to something (how correct English is this? XD Maybe I just wrote a Hungarian phrase), would be much easier than all that torrent of information. :D

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:48 pm 

~, tomorrow we'll see each other *_*

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:26 pm 

If my calculations are right, you must be in the airport of Helsinki right now. All the best for your Finnish adventure!

Report this post